Well, there are tons of things I’d like to set right, but today, tonight, it’s the whole of Western medicine. If everyone who reads this could consider their last doctor’s experience and then if they felt as wronged as I do, simply write one letter stating what happened and how/why you feel ripped off, and make three copies of it.
The first copy should be sent to your doctor. The second copy should be sent to your congressman. The third copy should be sent to your local news outlet.
I won’t tell you what to say. All of our stories are different. Some common threads though are these:
- We pay too much for the service we get.
- Doctors are often unprepared and insensitive.
- They don’t spend enough time with us.
- They don’t hear us out.
- They judge us based on our profession.
- They don’t have good listening skills.
- They aren’t empathetic.
- They are pharmaceutical drug pushers.
- They apply band-aid treatments instead of getting to root cause.
- They insult our intelligence.
- They insult us in other ways.
- They forget that we are in charge of our health.
- They forget that we are hiring them, not the other way around.
- Often they aren’t knowledgeable of natural treatments.
- They are rude and interrupt us when we are trying to speak.
- When prescribing drugs, they don’t explain the potential side effects.
- They are not healers.
This is what’s wrong with health care in the United States. The problem isn’t that everyone needs insurance. The problem is that we have given up our power and have handed over our wallets. We have stopped thinking critically when it comes to our own health.
But things have shifted in the last 20 years. Today we have the Internet. Today we have knowledge at our fingertips like never before. WE could change this. WE are the ones who pay.
If you or anyone you know has had any of these experiences, write a letter, make three copies, affix stamps, and send.